Pages

Wednesday, December 25, 2013

Making time

It feels right to make at least some Christmas gifts, rather than buy all of them. For maybe five years now, I've made a box of home-made sweets for my family each year, and given them along with some other goodies.

This year's fudge was coconut, and I made two versions: coffee caramel, and orange-flower water. Each year I make orange-chocolate truffles as well. And this year, I dried some white nectarine slices too.

Then there were a couple of recipes I wanted to try from Honey From a Weed. One was wild peach and bay jam (though I had, crushingly, to use commercial peaches).

The other was dried figs, which are stuffed with an almond, lemon rind, fennel and cinnamon, before being packed warm into jars with yet more bay leaves.

All this, as well as some Christmas dessert preparation, took an entire day. These are mere frivolities, not worthwhile contributions to Christmas lunch, and they take time the average person could be spending doing more obviously productive things.

But I'd much rather stand around my kitchen trying new recipes than fight the crowds in a shopping centre.

I like the time spent cooking for people I love, and to hole up at Farmette for a day in the lead-up to Christmas with some music blaring and the sun shining as I marvel over just how much sugar is in fudge is a bit of fun.

And that, after all, is the point of the festive season, isn't it?

2 comments:

  1. That fudge was ridiculously good. The figs tasted like Christmas. I haven't tried the jam yet, but after those two, my expectations are high! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been using the fudge as quick-start fuel when I'm feeling weary but still have more to do outside ;) The jam is all right by me—will be intrigued to hear what you think when you get to it.

      Delete